Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Opportunity

A friend told me that I should appreciate the fact that my day-to-day work is generally not stressful. If and when I feel that there is unexpended energy, take the energy and direct it elsewhere.

An acquaintance of mine works full time and teaches Zumba 5-7 times a week. Now I'm wondering if that's where my extra energy should be directed. I'm going to my first Master's Class this weekend. I've been to a few fundraising events and have taken Zumba off and on since it was introduced in Spokane back in 2009. I've taken enough classes to know what characteristics I appreciate in an instructor. (ie Remind me to really "crunch" when I do chest pumps, remind me to stick my rear out when I do squats and to get low when I'm not AND keep it FUN!)

I'm anxious to be able to wear the Zumba wear. I want to be "hip" like to the cool kids. Zumba wear is finally available in XL and XXL, but I'm embarrassed to buy it knowing that I want to lose a good 50+ lbs so that I actually feel good wearing those clothes and wardrobe malfunctions become a distant memory. Besides, I couldn't possibly be an instructor at this size.

I've been a "dancer" for 25+ years...My dance experience ranges from Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop, Funk, Clogging, Square Dancing, Foxtrot, Waltz, Jive, Salsa, Bolero, Cha-Cha, Rumba, West Coast Swing, and Tango. It's no wonder that Zumba hits a "cord" with me. :) I find myself in the car listening to music that I know Zumba routines to. And trust me, pumping your chest doesn't come easy in the car and at my size, pumping in the car leads to a whole lot of stares from surrounding drivers.

Plan:
1. Attend as many Zumba classes/functions that I can within the next three months to help me learn the routines and lose the weight.
2. Explore training classes and scholarship opportunities
3. Start a small group class of friends who enjoy Zumba as much as I do and who would support me in this new endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is encouraged and appreciated.