Sunday, January 29, 2012

Masks-Not the ones we wear in October!

We wear many masks. Myself, I can't count them all. My paritioner, daughter, aunt, girlfriend, manager, volunteer, mentor, sister, ex-wife, friend, confident, advisor, employee, companion and princess roles somewhat intertwine with one another.

The question is how do we get to this point? And what do we do when we have dual masks to wear? I find myself behaving one way to suit a certain crowd and behaving another way to "fit in" elsewhere. What masks do you wear? And what triggers you to wear them?

I think masks are a socially acceptable and passive way of blending into the group that we are in at the moment. As I type this, I wonder why do I want to "blend in." Was it something in my cultural progrmaming that made me think that I was "supposed" to do that? Why don't I stand up and say what I have to say? Why am I not ok to interrupt someone who coonstantly interrupts me so that I, too, can be heard? Why does respect for someone else trump resepect for myself?

My guess is that I was taught to be polite, kind, empathetic, and nurturing. And that my opinion only mattered if someone was curious enough to ask about it. That makes sense, right? Haven't you had that person in your life who could go on and on about something completely unimportant to you? Did you sit and listen and wonder when it would end? Or would you wait for the other person to ask you about what is importatant to you? Or was it a monologue?

When someone asks how you're doing, do you reply, "fine?" What is fine? It's another mask we wear to avoid answering a question that people feel obligated to ask. Help me with this. If you ask me how I'm dong, and my reply is "fine," help me elaborate on that. For example, what was the best part of your day? What was the most difficult part of your day? What are you looking forward to this week? etc. I'm trying to get out of the habit of saying "fine." Mostly because I'm not "fine." I'm blessed and I'm thankful. But I've gotta long way to go to being content.

In an effort to not lose this post (as I have already done once) I'm going to stop here. Further reflection necessary to post additional content. I'd love your feedback on the topic, in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is encouraged and appreciated.