Monday, January 23, 2012

Curiosity

Today's discussion revolves around etiquette and curiosity.

A resident is annoyed with another resident because when they are at a gathering together, one of them seems to monopolize the conversation. I asked the complaining resident why that bothered him so much. His reply was that he wanted to learn more about the other guests at the function too.

He asked for my advice. My most original piece was "invite those you'd like to know more about to your house. " As I think about it more, maybe he could be curious about why she feels she needs to carry the conversation. Maybe a little more understanding on both of their parts could be beneficial. I also suggested that he pose a group question that would allow each attendee to participate in the conversation.
I haven't decided if I can be as open as I'd like to be about it. He mentioned etiquette and how people just don't know how to carry conversations anymore. Maybe this resident (she) feels that it is her responsibility. How would he know that unless he asked. How would she know she comes across as monopolizing a conversation unless someone said something to her?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is encouraged and appreciated.